Rosie talks to Danni Nicholls, who recorded her latest album “A Little Redemption” in Nashville. Danni has her musical roots in American folk, country and rock’n’roll and got to play with Al Perkins who worked with the likes of Randy Newman, Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris. She tells us about her experience of funding her album through Pledgemusic, a form of crowd funding, which is popular in America. With the songs ‘Beautiful Game’ and ‘Hey There, Sunshine’, she gives us a taste of “A Little Redemption”, which is released on June 30th; on 3rd July Danni is playing at the Riverside Studios in Hammersmith.
Dancer Tim Flynn presents Queer Tango London, which he founded in 2008. Queer Tango is a new way to dance Argentine tango. It breaks free from the tradition where a man leads a woman. He explains what the challenges of leading and following are when dancing tango, for example making sure not collide with other couples, or respectively, being very responsive when following. Being trained in ballet, Tim said, helped him picking up tango quickly. He also tells us about the history of Queer Tango and dancing in Buenos Aires. Queer Tango London offers lessons for beginners and intermediate dancers and has regular outings. On 21st July the Queer Tangueras also have a festival at the Tea House Theatre in Vauxhall.
Rosie speaks to singer-songwriter Ruth Theodore, whose new album “Dear Lamp Love Moth” is out on 10th June. Ruth shares with us how she picked apart all the songs she had already recorded for the album, when she had to stay in hospital for a long period. The album became a metamorphosis for her. She tells us about the inspiration for the title and plays the songs ‘Bull Fight’ and ‘Slowdance’ for us. She can be seen live on 10th June at St Pancras Old Church.
For rights reasons the music is not on the podcast, but that’s what you could hear on the show:
1) Rufus Wainwright: ‘Out of the Game’ from the album “Out of the Game”
2) Danni Nicholls: ‘Bird of Paradise’ from the album “A Little Redemption”
3) Danni Nicholls: ‘Beautiful Game’ from the album “A Little Redemption” (live) – on the podcast
4) Danni Nicholls: ‘Hey There, Sunshine’ from the album “A Little Redemption” (live) – on the podcast
5) Ruth Theordore: ‘Archmides’ from the album “Dear Lamp Love Moth”
6) Ruth Theordore: ‘Bull Fight’ from the album “Dear Lamp Love Moth” (live) – on the podcast
7) Ruth Theordore: ‘Slowdance’ from the album “Dear Lamp Love Moth” (live) – on the podcast
8) Marques Toliver: ‘Weather Man’ from the album “Land of CanAan”